The Sons and Daughters of Hawley is both the town’s historical society and a means of drawing the people of the town together. In celebrating the history of our town we also enjoy opportunities to work and be together as a community.
The Sons and Daughters of Hawley was established in 1900 in order to maintain connections among all those with ties to the town and to preserve Hawley’s history, including its historic buildings and sites. For well over a century, the Sons and Daughters of Hawley has provided a common meeting ground for the people of Hawley, collected historical artifacts and materials, educated residents and visitors from near and far about Hawley’s history, and maintained the community’s memory.
SDH created Hawley’s Old Town Common historic site and it owns and maintains its archives and community events building, the Grove, and the East Hawley Meetinghouse.
SDH’s quarterly journal, The Edge of Hawley, features articles on SDH events, Hawley history, and personal reflections on living in the town.