Sons and Daughters of Hawley Online Store
The oldest known flagstone charcoal kiln in New England, this structure was built in 1870 by Albert Dyer of Plainfield for William O. Bassett. It produced charcoal for local industry until about 1900. Height: 25', diameter: 25', capacity: 25 cords of wood, burning time for 1 load: 1 week.
From a wood engraving by Charles H.Joslin, © 1990 C.H.J.